What are the causes of oily hair?
Our experts answer your most frequently asked questions.
The excess sebum production responsible for oily hair can be linked to internal and/or external causes.
- Sebaceous glands being hypersensitive to hormonal stimuli. In both men and women, the sensitivity of sebaceous glands to androgen hormones dictates their sebum secretion.
- Drug-related (some psychotropics)
- Stress, anxiety
- Poorly adapted hair care products (shampoo, overuse of coloring products, etc) that are too aggressive on the scalp and cause it to respond by producing too much sebum
- Using water that is too hot to rinse the hair
- Using styling tools that are too hot near the roots, and prolonged sun exposure can also stimulate sebum production in the scalp
- Mechanical aggressions to the scalp, such as intense rubbing while washing or towel drying