Which cream should you use for baby's eczema?

Your baby is only a few weeks or months old and already has eczema! At the end of the consultation, the physician usually proposes one or more creams for the baby's eczema. What do they contain? Are they safe? How should they be applied? We explain everything!



Which cream should i use for my baby's eczema?

There are generally two main types of creams used for baby eczema:

  • Cortisone creams, also called topical corticosteroids: these creams fight against skin inflammation due to atopic dermatitis. They allow the rapid resolution of the infant's eczema flare-up. Cortisone creams suitable for babies' eczema are often less powerful than cortisone creams for adults, but they are just as effective in fighting symptoms and itching. Topical corticosteroids can be applied to both the face and body as needed. If the lesions are very dry, the physician will prescribe an ointment for the baby's eczema instead, because ointments are oilier than creams;
  • Emollients: these creams will hydrate, soften and repair the skin. Favor creams adapted to the atopic skin of babies, i.e. a cream without allergens and in particular without fragrances.

When should you apply your baby's eczema creams?

Usually, care takes place once a day, preferably in the evening after the bath, when parents have time to apply their baby's eczema creams. Bath time is a special moment of bonding between the parents and the child. Moreover, the skin that has just been washed and delicately dried is still slightly damp, which favors the penetration of creams.

How should they be applied?

Topical corticosteroids are applied in a thin layer to eczema plaques as soon as they appear and until they disappear. If the flare-up starts again, the cortisone cream must be restarted to relieve the baby's eczema.

Emollients can be applied to the rest of the body as often as needed! Creams for infant eczema are safe when used as prescribed.

If in doubt or if you have any questions about using a cream on your baby's atopic skin, ask your physician or pharmacist for advice.

Back to top